Sunday, September 27, 2009

Kelsey & Paige's First Camping Trip...ahh!!

Jeromy has wanted to take me camping since the day I met him so this year my gift to him for his birthday was just that. We got a campsite at San Mateo right by San Onofre. It was about 2 miles from the beach so after Jerm and I set up the tent we borrowed from Jonna...which surprising to me only took about 10 minutes. Then we headed to the beach!

Our campsite! The tent fit Paige's pack'n'play and a blow up mattress...thank God!
Cutie Pie at the beach under our new umbrella
Looking out to find Daddy surfing
The water is pretty warm right now so Paige and I had fun jumping the waves and playing in the water.
Building a sandcastle and playing in the sand while Mom sits in the chair catching up on some really important celebrity gossip
What a hunky surfer dude!
We had to walk 20 minutes along this path to get to the beach. Jeromy surfed at Trustles which is a destination surf spot. He was stoked to get to surf there. We piled up the Bob with everything we could...gotta love the Bob. And, gotta love this picture!
Paige buried in the towels...what a precious face
After the beach we went to a local market and got chicken, beef, corn, potatoes, butter and seasoning to make for dinner. Ashley & Blake drove in from Irvine to hang out. It was great to see them. BUT, I don't think they knew what kind of a dinner they were in for! I did all the packing and Jeromy said I shouldn't bring any plates, utensils, etc so I thankfully decided to throw in 3 plates, 3 forks, 2 spoons, 2 knives and a roll of foil. We wrapped the veggies in foil and baked them over the fire and Jeromy just laid foil on the grill to make a pan to grill the meat. It turned out pretty good considering the way it was prepared! Jeromy continues to surprise and impress me. By far the best thing we packed was this super nerdy headlight lamp. We bought these for all the men in the family one Christmas as a joke...who knew it would end up being the best thing for this trip! Paige wore it most of the time so she could see what the heck and where the heck she was going but I even wore it to clean up before bedtime. Thankfully, there were no pictures of me wearing it! What a great invention.
Me and my buddy hanging by the campfire. Side note...the other night Jeromy was trying to get Paige to say he was her number one so now I've got her to say that Mommy is her best friend and her number one! Don't mess with me buddy! I have more time to train her on what I want her to say!
That morning we got geared up for a quick bike ride and Jeromy decided we should get the fire going before we took off. Good thing he had a little helper to get the fire going.
This picture needs no description...priceless!
I wanted to take a picture of Paige's cute little curls hanging out under her helmet. I don't know where she got those little curls from but I think they are so cute!
After a quick bike ride, Heather, Chad and Evan showed up with some groceries to make breakfast. Mistake number one was letting Jeromy coordinate breakfast with Chad. Jerm didn't make it clear that we literally had 2 spoons, seasoning and a roll of foil so Chad brought eggs, bacon and a loaf of bread. McGyver (Jeromy) made the foil into little bird nest looking bowls to cook the eggs, toasted the bread on the grill over the fire and heated up the bacon (luckily it was fully cooked and just needed to be heated up) and made egg mcmuffin sandwiches! What a clever little character. Again, he continues to amaze me. I put jelly on mine (I brought peanut butter and jelly in case we were desperate for food) and everyone thought that was totally crazy. They are the crazy ones and don't know what they're missing out on. Turned out really good considering what Jeromy had to work with!

We had a really fun time camping and I'm glad we did it. One night was enough for me but I kinda would have liked to spend more time at the campsite hanging out while the sun was out. I brought 15 magazines to go through thinking we were just going to be doing nothing and I think I only had time to go through one and that was at the beach! Plus it took us 3 hours to get packed and ready to leave the house so after all that packing and setting up, we really didn't use it for a long time!

No comments: